We love what we do
                                 and it shows!

(425) 557-0752

Beaver Lake Animal Hospital
26325 SE 39th Street
Issaquah, WA 98029
(425)557-0752


Beaver Lake Animal Hospital

26325 SE 39th Street
Issaquah, WA 98029

(425)557-0752

beaverlakeah.com

Other Dangers and Toxins

This is not an all inclusive list, but some things you may not already suspect may be poison.

Gorilla Glue   -  Swells extensively after swallowed then hardens.  Ingestion allows the glue to swell in the stomach causing possible life threatening damage.  Surgery is required to remove after most ingestions. 

Grapes and Raisins -  These may have molds on them that can lead to renal failure in dogs and cats.  A few may not cause noticeable problems, but may have an additive affect.  It is best to avoid these treats.
 
Macadamia Nuts -  can temporarily cause muscle weakness, often in the hind legs. Other signs include vomiting, fever, and abdominal pain. The mechanism of toxicity is unknown. Affected dogs recover with no treatment and no long term effects.

Xylitol - Xylitol is in some sugarless gums, candies, breath mints and other items with a sweetener in it.  Even if another sweetener is listed or advertised on the product,  Xylitol may still be the main or supplemental sweetener.  Please read labels for ingredients before giving anything sweet to your pet.

Compost, moldy foods, tremerogenic mycotoxins - These can be a life threatening to your pet as any more obvious poison.  Keep pets away from garbage, compost and other non-approved foods, particularly if the food has had time to spoil.

Chocolate is toxic to pets. The darker the chocolate, the more harmful. The methylxanthines (caffeine and theobromine)in chocolate can cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, experience rapid heartbeat, have increased urination, and experience muscle tremors and seizures. The effects can be serious. Death from chocolate toxicity can occur within 24 hours.  Even if they survive the toxic effect, they may develop pancreatitis.

Coacoa bean fibers and mulch can cause much of the same problems as chocolate.

Coffee, tea and cola are people food. They contain caffeine, a methylxanthine also found in chocolate. The signs of toxicity include rapid heart beat, hyperexcitiabilty, tremors and seizures.

Coffee grounds can have a high concentration of caffiene.

Onions and garlic have a chemical that damages red blood calls in dogs and can cause anemia. Even one small whole onion can cause death. So be particular careful when disposing of leftovers that contain significant amounts of onions, such as pizza or Chinese takeout. The small amount of onion and garlic powder used in pet foods is safe and well below the toxic levels.

Rising bread doughs are designed to expand. If swallowed by an unsuspecting canine, doughs can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possibly rupture to the stomach and intestines.

Tobacco products concentrate nicotine

Alcoholic beverages  Because alcohol can be fatal to dogs, no amount of alcoholic beverage is safe yes, even beer should be off limits.

Medications such as Ibuprofen, Tylenol and Naproxen may give some relief, but painkillers and other common medications can be deadly to your dog. Keep all prescription and over the counter drugs including painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, cold medicines, diet pills, antidepressants, anti-cancer drugs, and vitamins in closed cabinets out of your pets reach. Never give your pet medication unless directed by your veterinarian. Did you know dogs and cats seem to be attracted to the taste of ibuprofen?  Make sure to keep it out of their reach.

Glow-in-the-dark lights and jewelry

Paint balls